Thursday, December 15, 2011

Oh, Tannenbaum

I've seen holiday how-to's on television or magazines where it guides you to decorating your tree with style. However, I always come back to 'tradition is best'. In other words, I'm not aiming for a nearly bare tree with a certain color weaving throughout, but instead a tree that holds ornaments that we have cherished through the years. Mind you, a cluttered tree is not something I recommend, but having tried and true pieces on there that speak to your heart is better than following any seasonal trends.

As either of my siblings can attest, it wouldn't have been Christmas without our Flintstones characters hanging from the branches; clothespins reindeer we each made in art class; or little felt ornaments in the shapes of gingerbread men that came from one of our imaginations (its been so long I don't know how they came about!)

It's great trying new things. For our tree I've opted out of conventional garland (you know, the shiny kind) and instead trimmed it with a simple ribbon and garland made of old books. I want my daughter to create her own ornaments and be reminded each year of how special these traditions are. It isn't about show pieces per se, it's about the memories created around them. Even though Wilma, Fred, Betty and Barney looked great on the tree (they must've been purchased pre Pebbles & Bam Bam), it's the warm thoughts of trimming the tree together that tugs on my heart strings. Those endless evenings of listening to Christmas crooners sing their way into our hearts and memories.

At the end of the day, it's what it all represents that makes the holiday so special. Sharing this time with loved ones and appreciating little things that make your Christmas unique. And yes, I do heart all these Christmas photos!

Stay tuned to find out how you can bring that pretty little felt tree into your home (see bottom)! Love it...






















No comments:

Post a Comment