Monday, September 2, 2013

Bookcase Decor

We LOVE books in our house. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but we are absolutely obsessive over them. I mean, seriously. One of our local libraries gives away old books and sells {some} really good ones for about .25 each. That's right up our alley. The look, the smell, the wear and tear, are all things we go ga-ga over. 


String and pencils create an intellectual feel

Perfect for a book display!

Can finally display this without all the clutter

More of our tree bark pencils

A thrift store find with my own personal touch

I just love book pages
Having said all this, these books tend to, erm, 'collect' over time and may appear a bit hoarder-ish in our little home. Don't get me wrong, it is my belief that you can never have too many books (I shriek as I say this), but seriously, how many books can you stack up in one area before it becomes a hazard to you and your little kiddies?  

A label and stamps creates this whimsy feel

Ta-da..


Anthro-inspired

A collage of stuff at the top


Today, I packed up a bunch of books and moved them to another room. Of course I've merely shifted the issue to another location, but I'll deal with this another time. Perhaps when my kids are off to college in 18 years? 

I can showcase our dictionary with those old-school tabs




There was a haphazard color wheel happening on our bookshelves for a while. There were books that were collecting that were 'shoved' into place. This wasn't going to fly on my radar much longer, so I decided to deal with it. My babies seemed to be on board with my mission, so I just went with it. 







I was completely inspired by a magazine where a woman turned all her books with the bindings facing inward. Yeah, I know. Totally impractical and my husband is going to FREAK when he's looking for a book, but can't actually locate it! However, it looks cool and is a nice change up from what was there before. It also appears much cleaner and streamlined than before and I'm thrilled that I could shift a couple of plants there as well. Happy all-around. 

A plant from my friend finds a suitable home


Letters from Michael's discount section resides in a vase



Wouldn't be complete without those lights





Its all one muted color and I'm digging it... at least for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment