Monday, July 2, 2012

Wall Stencil

The other day I decided to try my hand at stenciling an accent wall in the living room. Being very bare - and very beige - it left a lot of room for improvement. I'm really liking how it turned out and have received many compliments; this is a great way to spruce up an otherwise lackluster area in your home. 

Before: having traced the stencil with a pencil... didn't mean to rhyme!

Okay, so how did I do it? I visited this blog written by a genius woman. Seriously, did I mention how the wall totally looks like it's been wallpapered, but without the costly price tag and mess it would require to put it on? So, here's the address to the Jones Company: 


After
 Still a work in progress, with my daughter's bean bag and table to contend with.

Clicking on that link above will provide a stencil for making this design. I printed it out and transferred it onto cardboard (my daughter's diaper box, to be exact). Once I had that, I began tracing the pattern onto my wall moving in a downward/vertical direction. For a step-by-step process of what I did - unfortunately, I couldn't document it since I only had two hands! - click below for directions:




TOOLS:
  • Cardboard
  • Pencil
  • Paint (I used leftover white BM paint from our cabinets)
  • Paint brush (from Michael's, one of those small, flat craft ones)
  • Patience
This is as easy-peasy as it gets, guys! I even did this while my daughter watched T.V.... just be forewarned though, she now thinks its okay to draw on the walls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment